YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Rant: Boycotting

I know as soon as people see rant anywhere they head in the opposite direction. No one wants to read angry ramblings. I promise this is not going to be angry, and there won't be any more rambling than normal.

Let's talk about the boycotts people are proposing. Remember Chick-fil-A's anti-gay kerfuffle? Everyone was boycotting the delicious chicken establishment because of their social views and because they were donating money to anti-gay organizations. On the other side of the coin, after Oreo put out an ad supporting gay rights (it was an Oreo stuffed with rainbow colored filling) some people started boycotting them because of their views.

Ok, I can see boycotting Chick-fil-A because of their donations if you don't want your money to go to misguided organizations. But to boycott just because they have a different opinion? I don't agree with Chick-fil-A but I don't agree with a lot of people. I agree with Oreo but I'm not going to go out and buy a bag of them because I agree. Honestly, if they would just keep all of this to themselves, that would be great. I don't want my food choices to be political and they really shouldn't be. 

Moving on to post-election boycotting. Right now, Liberals want to boycott Applebee's and Papa John's after they said they might implement a hiring freeze to offset costs created by ObamaCare. Let's think this through. You want to boycott these companies which will likely make them lose money which will force them to cut work hours and layoff employees? If one person can tell me how boycotting them will actually be helpful in the end, I am all ears. I understand that it may seem like these businesses are only doing this because they hate Obama, but unless you work for them, you don't know how much money they might lose and how new regulations are going to affect their infrastructure.

Now onto my conservative friends that want to boycott actors and companies that endorsed Obama. Are you for real here? Companies are run by people and people have opinions. Most likely they aren't the same as yours but that's what makes America great, isn't it? You want to boycott these places for what reason and at what cost? You are also going to be taking money away from corporations that have employees, and those employees need jobs. It isn't their fault that their corporations have opposing values from you.

And for the love of God, don't heckle the employees at the places you are boycotting, like this guy.

None of this boycotting is going to help our economy or our nation. You want to contribute to higher unemployment, go for it. You want to take money from people that need these jobs to live? Be my guest.

Sometimes I just feel like that line from Dr. Horrible's Sing A-Long Blog:

Because, sometimes, no one is logical. 

For your viewing pleasure, here are some really angry boycott tweets from both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment