YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, November 18, 2012

My warrior name is...


Remember those quizzes on Facebook that would determine silly things, like your spirit animal (mine's a wolf), what house in Hogwarts would you be sorted into and which Sex and the City girl you are (I'm Carrie)? Well, those used to be an obsession of mine. I loved answering generic questions and being given someone or something to identify with.

OK, let’s be real here, when you meet someone and somehow being a big Harry Potter fan comes up, have you ever asked what house they’d be in? See, I have. It’s like asking your zodiac sign for the nerdy set.

Anyway, this week on The Mindy Project, something reminded me of those quizzes.

In the show, Mindy is given some advice on how to handle people kicking your ass emotionally …or physically I guess. One of her coworkers tells her that there’s a warrior inside and that whenever someone messes with you, they’re really messing with the warrior. You just let your warrior take over, or something. I think you get the point I’m trying to make here, hopefully.

Like, remember when Beyonce is Sasha Fierce on stage? Like that. So, anyway [Spoiler Alert] Mindy’s warrior name is Beyonce Pad Thai. After watching this episode my friend texted me and asked me what my warrior name would be.



It is so hard to decide something like that. It’s a big decision, you know. Like when someone asks you what song represents you, you have to think of something cool but plausible. If you say something like “Ohio is for Lovers” everyone will think you hate the world or are just really angry, or if you say “Diva” by Beyonce you are totally overestimating how cool you are. Maybe I just over think these things.

I already went through this whole picking out a name thing when that same friend texted me from a burlesque show and asked what my burlesque name would be. I did, however, come up with a name I would TOTALLY want if I ever did burlesque, are you ready?

Lotte L’Amour

Isn’t that awesome!? Can you just imagine a sexy chick lounging on a fainting couch with a cigarette on a long stick? Maybe it smells like Voltaire #5 and some sexy French music is playing in the background really softly. Whatever, don’t judge.

Or it's like when people have names for their drunken personas. I bet almost every one of you has a friend named Ashley that transforms into Smashley when she’s passed the tipsy point of the evening. I like to think of my drunk persona as a cowgirl. She flirts, she dances, she knows no personal boundaries, she is entirely too trusting, makes questionable desicions and really likes batting her eyes. Also, sometimes this weird little twang comes out when I’m feeling pretty loose after drinking a bit. I don’t know exactly what that is about.

I did an interview for work the other day with a derby girl, as in roller derby, and her derby name was Climaxxx. It's wicked. She was talking about how your derby image can be totally different from who you are on a daily basis. Where she took on a dominatrix-type character for derby, in normal everyday life you would never dream she would be carrying a whip into a roller rink.  

I still don’t know what my warrior’s name would be, I’ll keep thinking and get back to you on that. But the whole point is, all of us love to have these little escapes. They are like excuses about why we act a certain way, or once you are that persona it isn’t really you anymore. The funny thing is, all of our personas are a part of us. It’s just different facets. I guess the thing to do is embrace all of them.  Right?

It’s a Jekyll and Hyde thing. Jekyll is always in Hyde and vice versa. Let’s use a more modern example. It’s a Hulk thing.

If we know those characters are inside of us we can control them, or use them for the better. That’s a warning, FYI. I’m totally naming my warrior so don’t mess with me, she might come out and I don’t think you’ll want to be on the receiving end.

PS. I’m a Slytherin, and you?


No comments:

Post a Comment