YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, February 1, 2014

If you could change one thing...

Never Been Kissed was on this afternoon. Now, I love that movie, I can't lie. I've loved it since before I even thought about getting a degree in journalism. Actually, it's a pretty poor representation of journalists and journalism in general.

If you're unaware Drew Barrymore plays a copy editor that is just so awkward. I mean, really awkward. Like, she's 25 but she dresses like this, and corrects everyone's speech because... copy editor.

I know copy editors, they aren't all awkward, I promise.
She wants to be an investigative journalist so for her first real assignment as a reporter she is told to go undercover as a high school student to find out about the secret lives of teenagers. Her massive awkwardness lands her with the nerd clique once again (and in the math club called The Denominators - hilarious) then her brother makes her cool so she ditches the dorks and hangs with the Never Been Kissed equivalent of "the plastics."

One of them is Jessica Alba, so they're pretty much awful. 
More stuff happens but if you've never seen it, I don't want to ruin it for you... although it came out 1999, so if you haven't seen it I don't know what to do with you. The movie makes journalism seem like this big undercover operation with lapel pins that are cameras and a whole article just about this chick's life and how she's never been kissed and learned stuff after going back to high school and how she fell in love with some dude. If I know my editors, and I think I do, that would not fly. 

Sorry I got off topic because I have a BJ. Yeah, that's right, a Bachelor of Journalism.  

Did I mention I love this movie? I really do. But this is the important part, after watching it my mom decided to ask the intriguing question: If you could go back to high school and change one thing, what would it be? 

My dad is of the opinion that the question is dumb, considering we can't go back and change anything. I like it though.

What do you think? There are a few things I would have done differently and I even liked high school for the most part. I'm just curious, if you knew then what you know now, would you have changed anything?

Also, can this just be me?


No comments:

Post a Comment