YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

This is Halloween



This picture doesn't do it justice.

It’s Halloween again. Last year, I spent my Halloween night with a large bowl of candy (no trick-or-treaters came to my apartment) wearing a Slytherin T-shirt and my black Snuggy turned around like a wizard's robe. In all seriousness, that’s exactly what I did.

I did carve two pretty impressive pumpkins last year though. This year I’ve realized that pumpkins last, maybe, two days in Florida. I was smart enough to just paint my second smaller pumpkin, which you can see above. Not to be conceited about my pumpkin acrylic-ing skills, but that sugar skull is pretty wicked.

I’m not sure how anyone else feels about the whole Halloween holiday. I know my current boss and her husband love it and my middle school choir teacher thought it was the devil (for real). Some people hate dressing up because they feel stupid, some people love that they get to act crazy for a night without alerting their friends to the strange things they’re into. Some people don’t like how grim and dark Halloween is; personally I think that part is awesome, this is coming from a girl that has thought she was going to die before every major milestone in her life. As Lydia in Beetlejuice says"'Live people ignore the strange and unusual.' I myself am strange and unusual."

To me, fall = the most nostalgic season. I understand every season has specific memories associated with it, but think about how sober and, you know, serious the holidays are in the fall. Halloween centers around death, think about it. But not everything can be sun shiny and hunky dory. I tend to be more on the bleak-side, but that works in the fall. Maybe I associate my personality with this season, that’s probably it. Actually, when I was a kid, I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer so much that I used to sleep with my head turned to the side and the blanket away from my neck so a vampire would come bite me. How many other people can say that? Probably not many would admit to that at the very least. 

If you don’t feel wistful at all during October just go back and look at really old Facebook pictures. I’m talking really old, those ones from high school football games, college Homecoming etc. If that doesn’t remind you of cool weather, jackets, flannel, the smell of leaves, pumpkin flavored things and candles I can’t help you and you are probably heartless anyway. 

In honor of my love of Buffy and how that show naturally lends itself to Halloween here's a song from the musical episode (the best one in my opinion) that's actually a love/hate song from Spike (the vampire) to Buffy (the slayer). Writing this out makes me feel crazy. Whoa. 



 And look, the lyrics are on there, too. Talk about a total trip down memory lane, I just made my blog reminiscent of Xanga. Remember that really early form of a blog? Yea....me neither. 


No comments:

Post a Comment